Nod-like receptor (NLR) signaling pathway (WP914)
Mammalian cells have evolved a set of specialized pattern recognition-molecules (PRMs) to detect conserved molecular motifs present on pathogens known as pathogen-associated-molecular-patterns (PAMPs). NLR proteins (alternatively named NBD-LRR or CATERPILLER) represent one subclass of PRMs that have recently attracted much attention. Their cytoplasmic location differs from the classical PRMs which are mostly membrane spanning receptors (such as the Toll-like-receptors (TLRs) or lectins) and accordingly NLRs were proposed to be activated mainly by intracellular bacterial pathogens.
AuthorsAlex Pico , Elisa Cirillo , and Eric Weitz
Discuss this pathway
Are you planning to include this pathway in your next publication? See How to Cite and add a link here to your paper once it's online.
Pathway Ontologysignaling pathway signaling pathway pertinent to immunity
- Intracellular pattern recognition receptors in the host response. Meylan E, Tschopp J, Karin M. Nature. 2006 Jul 6;442(7098):39–44. PubMed Europe PMC Scholia
- Nod-like proteins in immunity, inflammation and disease. Fritz JH, Ferrero RL, Philpott DJ, Girardin SE. Nat Immunol. 2006 Dec;7(12):1250–7. PubMed Europe PMC Scholia
- Inflammasome adaptors and sensors: intracellular regulators of infection and inflammation. Mariathasan S, Monack DM. Nat Rev Immunol. 2007 Jan;7(1):31–40. PubMed Europe PMC Scholia
- Nod-like proteins in inflammation and disease. Carneiro LAM, Magalhaes JG, Tattoli I, Philpott DJ, Travassos LH. J Pathol. 2008 Jan;214(2):136–48. PubMed Europe PMC Scholia
- Signal transduction pathways used by NLR-type innate immune receptors. Kufer TA. Mol Biosyst. 2008 May;4(5):380–6. PubMed Europe PMC Scholia
- NOD-like receptors (NLRs): bona fide intracellular microbial sensors. Shaw MH, Reimer T, Kim YG, Nuñez G. Curr Opin Immunol. 2008 Aug;20(4):377–82. PubMed Europe PMC Scholia