Heart development (WP2067)
This pathway has been largely adapted from an article by Deepak Srivastava, Cell. 2006 Sep 22;126(6):1037-48. In this pathway are known transcription factors, miRNAs and regulatory proteins that impact the regional specificity of the human heart. Activating signals are indicated by arrows while inhibitory signals are indicated by T-bars. Special thanks to Kim Cordes for her assistance in revising this pathway, based on recent heart development research.
AuthorsNathan Salomonis , Kristina Hanspers , Jonathan Mélius , Eric Weitz , and Egon Willighagen
Discuss this pathway
Are you planning to include this pathway in your next publication? See How to Cite and add a link here to your paper once it's online.
Pathway Ontologyregulatory pathway
Disease Ontologyheart disease
Cell Type Ontologyvascular associated smooth muscle cell smooth muscle cell neural crest derived
- Development of heart valves requires Gata4 expression in endothelial-derived cells. Rivera-Feliciano J, Lee KH, Kong SW, Rajagopal S, Ma Q, Springer Z, et al. Development. 2006 Sep;133(18):3607–18. PubMed Europe PMC Scholia
- Making or breaking the heart: from lineage determination to morphogenesis. Srivastava D. Cell. 2006 Sep 22;126(6):1037–48. PubMed Europe PMC Scholia
- An Nkx2-5/Bmp2/Smad1 negative feedback loop controls heart progenitor specification and proliferation. Prall OWJ, Menon MK, Solloway MJ, Watanabe Y, Zaffran S, Bajolle F, et al. Cell. 2007 Mar 9;128(5):947–59. PubMed Europe PMC Scholia
- BMP and BMP receptor expression during murine organogenesis. Danesh SM, Villasenor A, Chong D, Soukup C, Cleaver O. Gene Expr Patterns. 2009 Jun;9(5):255–65. PubMed Europe PMC Scholia
- Tbx1 regulates the BMP-Smad1 pathway in a transcription independent manner. Fulcoli FG, Huynh T, Scambler PJ, Baldini A. PLoS One. 2009 Jun 25;4(6):e6049. PubMed Europe PMC Scholia
- miR-145 and miR-143 regulate smooth muscle cell fate and plasticity. Cordes KR, Sheehy NT, White MP, Berry EC, Morton SU, Muth AN, et al. Nature. 2009 Aug 6;460(7256):705–10. PubMed Europe PMC Scholia
- A regulatory pathway involving Notch1/beta-catenin/Isl1 determines cardiac progenitor cell fate. Kwon C, Qian L, Cheng P, Nigam V, Arnold J, Srivastava D. Nat Cell Biol. 2009 Aug;11(8):951–7. PubMed Europe PMC Scholia